The heating blanket is a laboratory equipment that generates heat in an efficient, environmentally friendly, clean and safe way, making it an essential equipment, whether it is for technological, research or production applications. It is mainly used to heat or quench organic liquids placed in reaction kettles, round bottom flasks or reaction vessels for the boiling, evaporation, distillation or extraction process.
Some liquids in the laboratory tend to explode when exposed to direct heat, or can release flammable organic vapors that are heavier than air and can explode when in contact with open flames. Warming blankets have a closed heating system, designed to avoid these dangers.
Heating blankets are available in stiffer fabrics or constructions, such as shaker or non-shaker, with controllers and without controllers. With them you can obtain different temperature ranges and have varied levels of regulation. They provide a short heating time, distribute heat without creating condensed water, do not produce flames, and are quite safe to heat above 100 ° C.
It is considered one of the best known and safest methods for heating a reaction mixture. Most of them are hemispherical in design and come in a variety of sizes to accommodate various shapes.
Uses of a Heating Blanket
- Distillation, extraction, digestion, boiling and evaporation processes in laboratories.
- Middle or higher education institutions.
- Quality control analysis.
- Industrial applications.
Recommendations when using a heating blanket
- Install the heating blanket around the flask.
- Connect the sensor according to the instructions stipulated in the temperature controller.
- Check that the heating blanket is in contact with the surface you want to heat. It should be tightly attached to the glass jar.
- When the blanket has been installed, connect to the temperature controller. Don’t forget to use a power transformer to prevent overheating.
Precautions when using a heating blanket
- Do not use the heating blanket with combustible or flammable materials, which can cause fire or an explosion.
- Do not use it in damp or wet spaces.
- Wear suitable safety clothing, gloves, goggles, and coats.
- Handle bottles and containers with care.
- Never run the heating mantle without fluids inside the distillation flask.
- Do not let the fluid touch the cavity of the blanket.
- Before cleaning or repairing the blanket, unplug it from the power source.
- Always use a grounded outlet.
General characteristics of a heating blanket
- Its temperature can reach up to 450 ° C.
- Distribute heat evenly.
- They have analog or digital controls.
- It allows to visualize the temperature through a screen.
- High level of precision functionality.
- They are padded for good insulation.
- Sometimes you add sand to the heating blanket when the flask is not big enough.
- Variety of sizes, temperatures and powers.
At Kalstein we are MANUFACTURERS and we offer you new warming blankets at the best PRICES, that is why we invite you to visit our page, in its section of products available HERE