A rotary evaporator is a laboratory instrument used in order to eliminate or recover solvents at low pressure, thus allowing the extraction of compounds more efficiently than with common distillation-condensation systems.
This device is widely used in the chemical industry, where it is used to evaporate substances through the distillation process, to then be condensed and finally separated into their components one by one, thanks to their specific boiling points. Due to all the advantages of purchasing this instrument, many laboratories in this industry have one.
How is a rotavaporator made?
A rotavaporator is made up of an electric motor that causes the rotation of a tube attached to a ground glass joint guide tube. The latter has a round bottom flask attached to its structure containing the solution. Maintaining a rotational movement, this flask is partially submerged in the water. In the system there is a refrigerant that circulates a liquid (water or antifreeze), this generates the condensation of the solvent, which is recovered in a collector. Among its components can be mentioned:
- A round flask to collect the distilled material.
- A vacuum unit to reduce the internal pressure of the unit.
- A height-adjustable column and a spiral-shaped condensation column.
- An adjustable heating unit.
- A second round flask for evaporation.
- A pedestal for the rotation motor.
Currently there are several types of rotavaporators, although all models serve the same purpose, some are better for some applications than others.
The rotary evaporator and the chemical industry
Rotary evaporators are widely used in the chemical industry, as well as in the pharmaceutical industry, to carry out the gentle removal of solvents by evaporation. This equipment is much more efficient than the simple distillation equipment, thanks to the fact that it is possible to attach a vacuum system that reduces pressure.
By producing sample rotation, the contact area is greater and, therefore, evaporation is faster. In addition, it has a controlled heating system that also makes the chemical process more efficient.
This equipment works as follows: the sample to be processed is inserted into the separation flask, which is submerged in water, and then the thermoregulated bath and the rotation system are turned on, then through the action of the vacuum pump, the pressure is reduced, allowing the solvents to separate from the solutes, and these solvents will be distilled in the condensing tube at low temperature and collected in the flask intended for it.
What do we offer you at Kalstein?
At Kalstein we are MANUFACTURERS of laboratory equipment of the highest quality and that have the best technology, this time we present our Rotary Evaporator YR02306, which has the following characteristics:
- It is suitable for experiments on evaporation, distillation or separation of chemicals.
- Typically works with a circulating water vacuum pump and recirculating chiller as a complete system to meet experimental and production requirements
- Patented Teflon (PTFE) and PV rubber double sealing technology can guarantee the negative pressure level.
- Wide range of main machine power supplies from 100 V to 240 V, 50/60 Hz.
- PID controller ensures precise temperature control.
- Patent design structure, the tilt angle of the evaporating flask is adjustable.
- Quick-lock button on the axis of rotation makes it easy to install or remove.
- Power lift continues to lift more smoothly.
- The synchronous belt drive mechanism can work smoothly with ultra-low noise during the rotation process.
- Individual design of the main machine and the water bath to facilitate future upgrades.
For more information, we invite you to take a look HERE